This is not a political post, but I wanted to share a story. This week I had a phone conversation with Jane Pendlebury the CEO at London-based HOSPA (http://www.hospa.org/) regarding its upcoming HOSPACE event (hospace.org) where Hospitality Upgrade is participating. This will be my first time in England since the Brexit vote where England decided to leave the European Union. I asked Jane about the impact Brexit has had on the industry there. A session is planned at HOSPACE on this subject which I am looking forward to. She shared an interesting story: the Brexit vote happened when Jane was leaving HITEC 2016 in New Orleans and flying back to London. There was no internet on the plane and when the plane landed everyone turned on their phones. She said it was quite an experience. The plane was in dead silence as everybody was in disbelief with the result of the vote. They were leaving the European Union? Every single poll beforehand said that would never happen. It was an interesting conversation we were having. Then I shared with her that I will be flying to London to her event in the early evening of our Election Day. What if the unexpected happens here? I told her if it did I might not come back and would just stay in London. We laughed and then finished our conversation. HOSPACE is a great event with more than 500 professionals from finance, technology and revenue management attending. I am thankful we are asked to be part of it. It should be an interesting flight over there.
Yes, this is the season for events. Next week I will be at the HFTP Annual Conference where HFTP is trying a lot of new things with the format. I am staying over Friday night for the President’s dinner where Lyle Worthington will be inducted as the new president. It is always a fun night and a great conference. The same week our Associate Publisher Anne Boon will be in Dallas at the “Delivering the Future Flexible Hotel,” organized by Corning Optical Communications and VT Group. I attended last year and thought it was very valuable. If you’d like more information about this event, please contact mailto:Anne@hospitalityupgrade.com. Then the last week of October our whole group will be in Las Vegas for multiple meetings at the Technovations Solution Center. We will be putting together a fun event on Wednesday, Oct. 26. If you are in Las Vegas and would like to join us for an entertaining evening, drop a note to mailto:email@example.com and I will get you an invitation. It’s all for fun, and we love bringing people together without an agenda and let the conversations go wherever they might.
After Las Vegas and before London I will be at the Springer-Miller User Group meeting that is called the HUG Conference, and this year is at the Innisbrook Resort outside Tampa. I have been to this users group longer than any of the others and always enjoy meeting with those who actually use the technology Hospitality Upgrade covers. After HUG I am off to London, then directly to New York City for the HX Experience (http://www.thehotelexperience.us/) where we sponsor the Technology Pavilion and host a fun dinner on Monday night. If you will be in New York for HX, let us know and join us for our dinner. It’s something we have been doing for more than 20 years. It is always a lively event. Yes, it’s a busy time of year but also a fun time of year.
For those who subscribe to Hospitality Upgrade magazine, I believe you are going to be very impressed. The fall 2016 issue is now on its way to you. We received tons of feedback from the nearly 60 technology leaders at our CIO Summit in September and the sharing of the issues they face and what the future holds make it a must read if you want some honest feedback on what path technology is leading us. We thank them for their great feedback. If you want to subscribe, please go to www.hospitalityupgrade.com/subscribe. You will find much value from this issue.
Here now is the real reason we are here, Dan Phillips’ review of the latest technology happenings. I will see you at the end with this week’s attempt at you know what. Don’t forget, for those in the United States, vote!!!!
by: Dan Phillips
Recent headlines, from Dan Phillips
Recently I have been sitting through several vendor presentations for a client of mine. All of the presentations are for the same product or service. It is very interesting to experience the differences in philosophies behind these companies presenting the hows and whys of their product development and what makes them different from their competition.
Most every vendor is working on some form of research and development, honing their products and services based upon statistics, trying to be different and better than the rest. This led me to start thinking about how they went about R&D. What is the right way to analyze the industry, or the hoteliers, or their guests, to find the numbers that truly mean something and are relevant.
Some vendors use data that shows trends that come from outside our industry and apply them to the reasoning presented in their pitch. Some vendors have actually conducted trials and tests of their own solutions in real situations and then use that data to modify or enhance. Other vendors may simply state that they know what is best because that is what they do, and we should simply believe them for it.
The articles in the Piqued Dan’s Interest section below are all very interesting in and of themselves. But, the reason I hope you will read them is to see how the research that provides the data we plan development from can be done differently. I am not saying one way is better than another, but I do have my preferences. What I ask is, if you are bringing solutions to the hotel industry, do your homework, test market your product or service, track results, publish usage cases and best practices, and, share knowledge.
- Marriott Hotels Introduces World's First Hotel Innovation Incubator -------------------------- Marriott Hotels Introduces World's First Hotel Innovation Incubator Marriott Hotels, the flagship brand of Marriott International, celebrated the grand opening of its M Beta at Charlotte Marriott City Center, an innovation lab that functions as the world's first hotel in live beta. From keyless entry upon arrival to digital experiences in the fitness studio, every corner of the hotel allows for rapid prototyping, inviting guests to test and give feedback in real time, ultimately shaping their future hotel experience. Physical Beta Buttons are located throughout the hotel to gauge consumer feedback with a live tally. By simply pushing a Beta Button, guests and visitors share their "approval" for the corresponding innovation. Beta Button engagement, votes and feedback on hotel innovations are then aggregated and brought to life in real-time via Beta Boards, digital screens placed throughout the hotel for all to see, as well as on TravelBrilliantly.com. http://www.marriott.com **
PEOPLE ON THE MOVE
- Sabre Expands Latin America Footprint by Opening Regional Headquarters in Uruguay - SHR Announces Appointment of New Director of Business Development for Northeast Region of United States - Boyne Resorts Appoints Ian Arthur as Chief Marketing Officer - Coral Hospitality Names Gary Hyre Vice President and Christopher Niemier Corporate Director of Revenue - Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts Promotes Christain Clerc and Vince Parrotta Strengthening Hotel Operations Leadership Team - Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company Announced the Appointment of John Lawn to President - HRI Lodging Appoints Brad Barnett Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing - Hyatt Selects Alex Zoghlin as Global Head of Data, Innovation and Business Transformation - IHG Appoints Michael Zager Vice President, Operations, Continental Europe - Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Names Kathleen Reidenbach Chief Commercial Officer - Lightstone Names Lauren Levin as Senior Vice President, Moxy Hotels Brand & Marketing - Chip Young Rejoins Presidian Hotels & Resorts as Chief Operating Officer - Eric Holtze and Sarah Holtze Treadway Promoted to Lead Stout Street Hospitality as Co-CEOs --------------------------
- Morgans Hotel Group Shareholders Vote to Approve Acquisition by sbe -------------------------- Morgans Hotel Group Shareholders Vote to Approve Acquisition by sbe sbe, the Los Angeles-based lifestyle hospitality company that develops, manages and operates award-winning hospitality venues, announced that shareholder approval was secured for the acquisition of Morgans Hotel Group. Assuming the acquisition is completed, sbe will have a portfolio of 20 world-class lifestyle hotel properties in nine gateway markets, more than 90 world-renowned entertainment and food and beverage outlets, as well as an extensive pipeline of hotels scheduled to open by 2019. https://www.morganshotelgroup.com/, http://www.sbe.com **
GUEST MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
- Live! Casino & Hotel Moves to Cloud with Infor Hospitality Management Solution -------------------------- Live! Casino & Hotel Moves to Cloud with Infor Hospitality Management Solution Infor announced that Live! Casino & Hotel, one of the largest commercial casinos in the country, has entered into an agreement with Infinium Software, Inc., an Infor subsidiary, to implement Infor Hospitality Management Solution (HMS), which will be used to promote superior guest experience in its casino, Live! Lofts and at its new flagship Live! Hotel, which recently began construction. Live! Casino & Hotel has been an Infinium customer since 2011 when it licensed Infinium Financial Management. By adding Infor HMS, its financial and property management systems will be fully integrated and provide a single view of the organization. http://www.infor.com/hospitality **
- Victor’s Residenz-Hotels Teams with Cross-Tinental to Migrate and Run Its Core Applications in the Cloud by Implementing WindsurferCRS (SHR) and Duetto’s Revenue Strategy Solutions -------------------------- Victor’s Residenz-Hotels Teams with Cross-Tinental to Migrate and Run Its Core Applications in the Cloud by Implementing WindsurferCRS (SHR) and Duetto’s Revenue Strategy Solutions Cross-Tinental has been selected by Victor’s Residenz-Hotels, as its strategic technology provider. The transformation has twin pillars – a new central reservations system (CRS) and a new revenue strategy solution. Cross-Tinental will bring its partnership with some of the best technology companies in the world and its European Hotel market expertise, to help Victor’s Residenz-Hotels implement a new e-commerce and revenue strategy based on distribution flexibility and full revenue optimization. The new systems will be in place at 13 hotels under the Victor’s Residenz-Hotels brands across Germany. http://www.shr.global, http://duettoresearch.com **
- Lodging Interactive Provides Hotels Online Real-time Sales Support Via Live Chat -------------------------- Lodging Interactive Provides Hotels Online Real-time Sales Support Via Live Chat Lodging Interactive, a leading digital marketing and social media engagement agency exclusively serving the hospitality industry, announced its expanded CoMMingle Live ChatSM service to now include real-time sharing of hotel promotional materials during online chats with potential guests. CoMMingle Live Chat elevates online customer service, customer engagement and sales to an entirely new level and has shown to increase corporate group and social event RFP submissions. http://www.lodginginteractive.com **
- Duetto Brings Pricing and Demand Insights to Oracle OPERA Cloud with New Integration -------------------------- Duetto Brings Pricing and Demand Insights to Oracle OPERA Cloud with New Integration Duetto, a Gold level member of Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN), announced that it has joined forces with Oracle OPERA Cloud to bring together Duetto’s Revenue Strategy platform, GameChanger, and Oracle Hospitality OPERA Cloud Services property management system, which helps improve business functionality and simplifies the IT infrastructure at hotel and casino properties around the globe. Duetto is one of the first hospitality technology companies to work with Oracle’s next-generation property management systems, making Duetto’s insights on pricing and demand available to thousands of hoteliers worldwide who are planning to migrate or already are managing their properties through Oracle OPERA Cloud. http://www.oracle.com, http://www.duettoresearch.com **
- ADB Extends Capability of vuTyme Hotel iTV Platform with vuCaster Solution for Streaming from Personal Devices - Bulk TV Earns No. 18 Spot on North Carolina Mid-market Fast 40 List - Award-Winning San Francisco Super 8 Delivering Superior Guest Service with HotelTap - MCOM Media Communications Integrates HOTstream with Knowcross KNOW Service - B&B HOTELS Receives 2016 Digital Champions Award Distinction with Digital Check-in Solution from Ariane Systems - Intelity Introduces ICE Guest Engagement Software at French Leave Resort - KNOWCROSS Furthers Global Reach With New London Office --------------------------
- The William Vale Installs Aptech Computer Systems -------------------------- The William Vale Installs Aptech Computer Systems Aptech Computer Systems, a leading provider of hospitality software for business intelligence, budgeting and enterprise financial accounting, announced that The William Vale, a hotel in Brooklyn, N.Y., installed Profitvue to manage financial processes and property accounting. The 183-room William Vale is a new-build property that opened in summer 2016. Aptech's Profitvue is a widely used internet-enabled enterprise back office solution that easily handles single or multiproperty accounting, and incorporates accounts payable, general ledger, statistics and financials. http://www.aptech-inc.com **
- BirchStreet Selected by Hersha Hospitality Management for Comprehensive Procure-to-pay Automation -------------------------- BirchStreet Selected by Hersha Hospitality Management for Comprehensive Procure-to-pay Automation Hersha Hospitality Management (HHM) has selected BirchStreet Systems to implement a comprehensive cloud procure-to-pay automation system for all of its 114 locations, including its eProcurement, AP 3-Way Auto-Matching, eInvoicing, Inventory Control, Recipe Management and Capital Projects modules. Combined, the entire solution will increase efficiency, visibility, compliance and profitability. Automating its back office processes will reduce costs and save time with the elimination of manual practices. HHM will also use BirchStreet’s strategic partner Avendra, a supply chain and procurement services company in the hospitality sector, which is tightly integrated with BirchStreet. http://www.birchstreet.net **
- Maestro PMS Announces EMV Payment Processing Interface Partnership with PXP - Shift4 Hits Seven Billion Tokenized Transactions - GuestCentric partners with HiPay to expand its online payment solution for Boutique Hotels --------------------------
- VENZA Announced as a New Alliance Partner for Preferred Hotels & Resorts -------------------------- VENZA Announced as a New Alliance Partner for Preferred Hotels & Resorts Preferred Hotels & Resorts – a global provider of sales, marketing and distribution services to independent luxury hotels – announced the expansion of its Preferred Alliance Partner Program with the addition of eight new companies including VENZA. The other companies include airweave, DirecTV, FloWater, Mapperarti, Molton Brown, NIPPON PMAC and PlusBlue. VENZA helps hotels mitigate their data security vulnerabilities and ensure compliance, keeping guests and their data safe from breaches. Effective immediately, Preferred Hotels & Resorts will promote these partners and their respective products and services to its member hotels in select regions, extending valuable added benefits and special pricing to support their individual on-property endeavors. http://www.venzagroup.com **
- HX: The Hotel Experience will Feature Over 50 Sessions with Leading Hospitality Figures -------------------------- HX: The Hotel Experience will Feature Over 50 Sessions with Leading Hospitality Figures The influential thought leaders behind some of the hospitality industry’s top hotel brands and marquee restaurants will share their views on the state of each industry, consumer trends impacting business decisions, market forecasts and guest-experience strategies at the annual HX: The Hotel Experience, held November 13-15 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City. Running concurrently with Boutique Design New York (BDNY), HX is one of North America’s largest hospitality trade shows for hotel and restaurant owners, executives, directors, chefs and GMs from across the hospitality spectrum – and manufacturers and marketers of products and services for all things hospitality. HX offers a collection of distinct, on-floor presentations for its 12,000 guests. Each session or demonstration will be featured in specific areas throughout the floor. Featured areas include: HX: ONSTAGE–RESTAURANT; HX: ONSTAGE–HOTEL; HX: COOKS; and HX: TECH. http://www.thehotelexperience.us **
PIQUED DAN'S INTEREST
- ADB Releases Independent iTV Research Findings as ‘2016 In-Room Entertainment Preferences Study’ - Introducing the “Shared Workspace Hotel” - Hidden Gems Uncovered: TrustYou Reveals the 10 Most Underrated Hotels in the US - Marriott Hotels Introduces World's First Hotel Innovation Incubator --------------------------
LATEST HOTEL and HOSPITALITY TECHNOLOGY NEWS and TRENDS
Hospitality Upgrade by Siegel Communications, Inc. Located in Roswell, Georgia
Siegel Communications, Inc. | Hospitality Upgrade 678.802.5300 | 70 Mansell Court, Suite 225, Roswell, GA