Tech Talk

Recent posts

We’re hardly out of the woods with COVID-19, and that means many properties will have to make do with a customer base mostly derived from local leisure, staycations and workcations from drive-to markets. With fewer overall guests, outside of cost savings efforts we must simultaneously look at maximizing the revenue per available guest (RevPAG), and there’s no better way to go about this than by sharpening your use of the PMS.

This is the last issue of Siegel Sez before this year’s CYBER HITEC event. HITEC is an event I have not missed in 30 years, and historically it has always been a great place to find innovation.

Toxicity Kills
Posted: 10/07/2020

It doesn’t matter if it is toxins in your physical environment or toxins in your mental environment. This stuff kills! 

It’s said that when someone’s mindset shifts, everything around them can change at the same time, and in our current setting, the importance of being in the right headspace, both personally and as an organization, can’t be discussed enough.

In my last installment, I introduced four areas of hospitality technology that I believe have been significantly changed by COVID-19. I covered contactless technologies in depth in that first article. This week I will turn to the other three areas: social distancing; health and sanitation; and communications.



want to read more articles like this?

want to read more articles like this?

Sign up to receive our twice-a-month Watercooler and Siegel Sez Newsletters and never miss another article or news story.

x
 

Technology Innovation Brings Electricity to the Hotel Industry

04/25/2014
by Trevor Warner
Hotels’ total energy consumption costs can be 6 percent of the operating cost and utilities cost continue to rise. While energy management focuses on the amount of consumption, cogeneration allows the hotel to have greater control on the cost of consumption. While other energy-reducing technologies have produced limited results, cogeneration appears to be a technology that will meet expectations. It’s a technology that has significant corporate investment behind it so we expect to see continued research and development to improve the technology and lower its pricing. 
 
Cogeneration, known as combined heat and power (CHP), is the production of heat and power from a single-fuel source. A cogeneration plant looks like a shipping container and inside is a power plant that takes natural gas and converts it to electricity. In the process of creating electricity, heat is generated that can be used to supply the heat necessary for the property to operate. 
 
The CHP plant supplies 95 percent of the electricity needs of the property. Hotels typically stay on the grid for the remaining 5 percent in the event of an outage or a need that might outpace the output of the CUP plant. 
 
The primary reason for a change to cogeneration would be financial savings. An additional benefit is creating a more reliable and improved power supply. In large cities such as New York and Los Angeles getting off the grid can often be a greater priority than the financial savings. 
 
The typical profile for a hotel that could install cogeneration would be: 
  • 100 or more rooms
  • High electric rates 
  • Hot water heating system
  • High use needs such as on-site laundry, heated pool or local climate extremes 
 
Cogeneration is not new. The first systems started to go in around 2005. The early adopting hotels were more about green exposure or had extremes under the typical profile that made significant financial sense. The draw back was always the upfront expense of the CHP plant. The payback was there but not quick enough for the property to recoup its investment. However, as the technology has continued to develop, the purchase price continues to drop. The current payback for the investment is right at three years and it is expected that timeline to continue to decrease. 
 
The other significant change is the evolution of the business model. Like any product, it takes time for the companies who sell and install the product to develop and mature. This evolution is now creating opportunities for shared savings, financing, and guaranteed pricing. We have seen a significant increase in companies who will install the CHP plant and charge the hotel a set rate below the cost of their current spend. While hotels enter significantly longer contracts to implement this guaranteed savings solution, their upfront financial exposure is reduced to zero. 
 
I’m just waiting for the residential version or better yet, the Mr. Fusion so I can install it in my Delorean.
About The Author
Trevor Warner

Warner Consulting Group


Trevor Warner is an industry expert and consulting for the hospitality technology field.

 
Comments
Blog post currently doesn't have any comments.
Leave comment



 Security code