Andy Tjan is vice president of information technology at Proper Hospitality, a Southern California-based company that designs and operates luxury lifestyle hotels, resorts and residences under the Proper, Hotel June and The Collective brands. Andy joined the Proper team in 2018 after roles in technology leadership at Rosewood Hotels & Resorts and Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts. At Proper, he oversees critical technology areas, including new product development, enterprise architecture, infrastructure and all IT operations.
One of his biggest accomplishments since joining the company has been developing and executing Proper OS, a tech-enabled platform and technology strategy employed across the brand’s entire portfolio, including new builds, acquisitions and design tech. “We started by pulling together every website, preparing a plan to scale and then standardizing our tech stack across the board,” Tjan said, noting that he and his team have developed a comprehensive strategy and system that offers the flexibility needed to accommodate all of Proper Hospitality’s properties – from the 35-room Venice V Hotel in Venice, Calif. to the 267-room Santa Monica Proper Hotel in nearby Santa Monica.
Tjan’s process is deliberate and considered. Each solution is hand-picked and aligns with the core requirements he has specified, which include cloud-based integration, ease of use, open APIs, mobility and scalability. “These systems have been packaged together into a highly agile group of plug-and-play solutions that we like to think of as hotel technology in a box,” he said, adding that the Proper OS platform has become a selling point when the company embarks on new projects.
Core systems in the platform include the Infor Hospitality Management Solution property management system and the Aireus point-of-sale solution. “These systems are easy to scale, simple to use and very efficient,” he said. Moreover, the systems work exceptionally well together, enabling the company to provide highly personalized guest service. “They deliver a great one-two punch and fit into what Proper Hospitality is all about.”
Mobility is also a major focus for the company and Tjan has equipped employees with mobile-enabled solutions. “We don’t want our colleagues tethered to cables and wall plugs,” he concluded. “They should be able to operate anywhere throughout the hotel. It’s a much more efficient and friendly way of doing business."
- Family: Married with three daughters and a dog.
- Hobbies: “Lately, it would be anything with a motor and wings. I’m working toward getting my pilot’s license.”
- Go-To Periodical or Website: Skift.com, all the hospitality technology publications, and YouTube. “I let YouTube’s algorithm curate the most relevant content based on my likes and viewing history.”
- Book: The Master and His Emissary by Iain McGilchrist. “I like the way the author presents complex concepts around the differences between the brain’s left and right hemispheres in an easy-to-understand manner. It’s a very thought-provoking book.”
- Music: 80s New Wave. “Depeche Mode, New Order and Tears for Fears are on my playlist.”
- Travel Destination: Mexico. “I enjoy its rich history and old-world charm.”
- Advice to Young People: “Be courageous and be kind.”
- Dinner With: Orville and Wilbur Wright, the American aviation pioneers credited with inventing, building and flying the first successful motor-operated airplane. “Due to my recent fascination with flight, I would love to talk with them.”